ABOUT DERRICK GEORGE
For over fifteen years Derrick has delivered unexpected and exceptional results to thousands of clients all over Michigan. Clients’ accessibility to Derrick and his holistic approach are what sets him apart from other attorneys. Derrick receives consistent feedback from judges, prosecutors, and clients about the level of detail and the amount of work that he and his staff put into each client’s case. Whether it is a business issue, an investigation, or a criminal matter, Derrick goes above and beyond to learn about the client as a person and not just a case. His results are impressive, his work ethic is unmatched, and he is known as a negotiations genius by many of his clients.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Derrick earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law in 2005. Before that Derrick received a Master of Science graduate degree from Columbia University in New York. His Bachelor’s degree was earned from James Madison College at Michigan State University.
His background in business, between graduate degree programs includes the management of large investment funds in New York City and managing programming for ABC World News Tonight, Nightline and 20/20. While attending law school, Derrick served as a judicial law clerk for two major judges and worked on high-level contracts on behalf of U.S. Fortune 500 companies.
Following graduation from law school, Derrick returned to Michigan where he created an energy-drink company that grew to have an international reach. His products were sold all over the United States and South America. During this time, Derrick realized the need and value in having good legal support in his business. He started to identify more with his legal background and began using his legal training and education to continue to find success in his businesses and to do the same for others. Derrick has a passion for entrepreneurship and people who are embarking on entrepreneurial endeavors, and he wanted to use his legal education to support clients going down the same path he did.
Derrick also found himself also drawn to the criminal justice system and began to take on cases for criminal defendants. Throughout his years of practice he has successfully represented over one thousand clients in their criminal defense cases. His ability to negotiate and represent his clients as a whole person and not just a defendant is a talent that any client facing a criminal case absolutely needs!
Derrick’s law firm is based in the heart of downtown Royal Oak, and his team of attorneys provides legal services to clients all over Michigan. Derrick is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, the Oakland County Bar Association, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and he is a member of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Advisory Council.
- Michigan, 2006
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- Juris Doctor – 2005
- Columbia University, New York, New York
- Master of Science – 2000
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Bachelor of Arts – 1997
HONORS, AWARDS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Vice Provost Law Scholarship
- American Bar Association Fellowship
- Lead Counsel Certified in Drunk Driving Defense
- 10.0 Justia Lawyer Rating
- Martindale Hubbell Client Champion
- Expertise; Best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Detroit
- Expertise; Best DUI Lawyers in Detroit
- DBusiness; Top Criminal Defense Lawyers
- DBusiness; Top Lawyers 2022 – White-Collar Criminal Defense
- DBusiness; Top Lawyers 2022 – Non White-Collar Criminal Defense
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan (CDAM)
- Michigan State Appellate Defenders
- Oakland County Sheriff’s Advisory Council