George Law is a boutique law firm in downtown Royal Oak. We are a group of lawyers who handle cases in the fields of criminal defense, business litigation, contracts, real estate, defamation, wills, trusts and probate. Our legal practice is seeking to hire the following positions to join our team.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
An attorney at George Law must be able to represent clients in criminal defense cases and civil litigation. This encompasses arraignments, pretrial hearings, settlement conferences, trials and sentence hearings. In criminal cases, attorneys defend adults and juveniles at the federal, state and local level. In order to represent clients in federal courts, a criminal lawyer must first apply for admission to practice in that court.
Attorneys work on several cases at one time, each at different stages in the process. Attorneys must competently offer legal counsel to their clients that would be in their best interests. Criminal defense attorneys’ extensive knowledge of the law helps them safeguard their clients’ constitutional rights.
- Interview new clients and meet with existing clients to render legal advice.
- Perform legal research to determine how the facts of a case interact with current law.
- Perform case research and engage in discovery and the exchange of information pertinent to both sides of the action
- Argue motions and attend other pretrial court appearances before a judge
- Work with prosecutors to negotiate plea deals
- Draft legal documents including pleadings, discovery, motions, briefs, memos, and contracts
- Must have graduated from an ABA accredited law school
- Must have a license to practice law in Michigan which is active and in good-standing
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to communicate through all mediums with clients
- Must be proficient in legal research and writing
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment is crucial
- Ability to competently handle multiple clients and cases at once
Paralegal or Senior Paralegal
You would be supporting our practice by scheduling appointments for attorneys, communicating with courts and court clerks, filing pleadings, drafting legal documents, drafting legal correspondence as well as organizing and maintaining client files.
To be successful in this role, you must have meticulous organizational skills, you must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Acrobat. You will also need to be able to multitask effectively and essentially thrive in a busy and team-oriented environment.
- Organizing and maintaining documents in a paper or electronic filing system
- Meeting with clients, attorneys, and other professionals to talk about case details
- Preparing legal correspondence and other documents for attorneys
- Filing pleadings with the court clerk
- Directing and coordinating law office activity
- Preparing briefs, wills, contracts, pleadings, and other legal documents
- Investigating facts and laws of cases, and searching public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action
- Gathering and analyzing statutes, decisions, and legal articles, documents and other data
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel), GSuite, Adobe Acrobat
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to multitask effectively, manage time-sensitive documents, and stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- Certificate of completion from an ABA-approved paralegal certification program of education and training, or an associate degree in paralegal studies, OR at least 3 years of experience as a paralegal.
As a legal assistant, you would be supporting our practice by assisting our attorneys and solicitors. You will be responsible for preparing legal documents, handling evidence and preparing briefs. Specifically, these responsibilities include:
- Preparing documents such as Appearances, Demands for Discoveries, Subpoenas
- Assisting with the preparation of Motions and Briefs
- Preparing materials for trial proceedings
- Researching and compiling information in order to strengthen a case for our attorneys
- Making sure attorneys and clients are kept informed and up to date
- Assisting our practice with accounting and billing
- Reviewing evidence and fact checking, as well as tracking case developments
- Working with clients and attorneys to coordinate appointments handle correspondence and logistics
- Maintaining case logs and the file for reference and reviews